Wednesday, October 25, 2017

10/20/17- The Ups and The Downs

I image that there's many, many people who have had a week like mine.  There were a lot of ups and a lot downs.  Good news and bad news. It was like being at both poles-- that is, the positive emotion pole and the negative emotion pole.  This isn't my first week where it was a roller coaster of emotions. I've had a few other times in my life where the week was filled with such highs and such lows.  Now that I'm older, at least I can drink a glass of wine while I simultaneously laugh and cry.



via GIPHY

Where do I even start?   I guess I'll go chronological to show the sharking wave of emotion I went through this week.  On Saturday, I received notice that "Annie Aardvark, Mathematician" was a finalist for the 2017 IAN Book Awards.  Yay!  Then off to Air Xtreme for a birthday party, which was pretty fun.  Finish off the weekend with a nice and relaxing Sunday.

Then it's Monday, and I have to go to a job that brings no satisfaction.  Before I go in to work, my friend/co-worker texts me that another co-worker has passed away.  He died from a motorcycle accident.  This is our second co-worker to die from a motorcycle accident this year.  It's very, very sad.  I didn't cry though until today, when a colleague wrote to the whole team about missing his smile.  It was a great smile, one that was reflected in his eyes, and was very genuine and sincere.  Rest in peace friend-- we'll miss you in the hallways.

I don't really recall all the emotions of Tuesday, other than being a little stressed out for a customer meeting.  I think also the social media movement #MeToo also took place Tuesday, but that could have been Wednesday. It's heartbreaking to see how many people were affected, myself included.  The specific harassment stories that I recall of the top of my head are catcalling, creepy older men saying things to me as a teen, and male co-workers talking right in front of me about how short so-so's skirt was and how hot that made her.  It's a sharked up thing, and I believe it will get better as more awareness happens and good people are willing to stand up to it.  So that's Tuesday.

Then Wednesday morning, I have Jack drop off duty.  Which is all fun and games until I actually have to take him to preschool.  He tells me he wants to stay home with mommy, and shark if that doesn't just cut me.  Of course, once he's at school and playing on the school's playground, it's like mommy who?  I much rather hang out with Jack than go to a job I dislike.  Playing games, eating Mac n' Cheese and watching Mickey Mouse together is way better than my sharky job.

I did get to meet with my critique group during lunch Wednesday, and it was a good meeting.  My group likes my latest story, and it gets me excited to start submitting it to agents and editors.  The promise of actually making my living from writing is always exhilarating.  We saw family that evening at Flower Child, and hump day was looking pretty up.

Then yesterday happens.  All week my allergies are bothering me, and it's made me feel a little tired.  But nothing Benadryl can't fix.  It unfortunately adds to my sleepiness though.  However, yesterday my stomach gets upset, so after a good Wednesday, I'm back down again. Never fear though, today is Friday.  I'm happy that it's Friday because I'm looking forward to the weekend!  Pumpkin patches, science experiments, hanging out with friends-- it's going to be a good weekend.  Hope you all have a good weekend too!

I do also want to note, that when life hands me such a big swing of emotions in one week, I seek out professional help from a counselor.  While one glass of wine is a fun temporary fix, I find the best fix to regain a healthy mental state is to see my counselor. I know that the rational and logical sensibilities that most of us engineers have seems at odds with emotions and emotional well being (surely you can logically and rationally talk yourself back to a neutrally emotional state, right?).  However, if you think about it, doesn't it logically make sense to see a counselor when emotions are swinging up and down? It's like seeing a primary care doctor for colds and regular check ups. Oh, and a massage. That doesn't hurt either.

If you are wanting to take care of your mental and emotional health, but don't know where to start, I suggest talking to a trusted family member or friend to see if they have recommendations for a professional (counselor or therapist).  You may also ask a trusted Facebook group or other social media group you belong to.  You may also call your work's mental health hotline (most companies have some form of mental health help tied to your health insurance) or ask your primary care doctor for recommendations.  Here's what the US government offers: https://www.mentalhealth.gov/get-help/immediate-help/ Take care of yourself and your emotions friends.  💙

1 comment: