Monday, April 16, 2018

4/16/18- The Great Parent Escape

So yep, it's been a couple of weeks since I lasted posted here.  Whatcha doing?  Me, I've been quite busy.  But don't worry, I was good busy.  It was my birthday!  Then, it was Easter!  Then, it was Bobby's birthday!  Then, it was Bobby and mine's wedding anniversary!  Then, this weekend happened... where I chose naps over writing!  So it's been a a really good couple of weeks.

Somewhere among all the festivities and celebrations (and naps), Bobby and I managed to parent escape and celebrate our birth-a-versaries. This great parent escape, as I have dubbed it, is our 3rd one since Jack was born.

What is a great parent escape you ask?  Well, it's were you sucker skillfully talk your family member or dear friend into watching your child for the weekend, and then you and your partner get crazy and wild at a hotel with HGTV and room service. And maybe a pedicure if the hotel has onsite spa. Shark yeah, we're not watching Paw Patrol for the millionth time!  And an uninterrupted meal in bed-- living large my friends, living large!

 Eating Room Service Food In Bed While Watching HGTV- Shark Yeah!

Okay, I'm getting a little tangent to your curve, but I think many of my parent friends, and super busy couples in general, know how hard it is to find time together. To just be a couple.  I remember going a work-life-balance/integration presentation thing a year (or maybe years) before having Jack, and I remember the woman talking about how important it was for her and her partner to take a trip somewhere just the two of them.

She also talked about how important just a friends trip is (something I need to do better of) and just a family trip to not see family is, and anyway, it was something that stuck with me for a long time. That how taking these trips really re-ups and strengthens your bond with family, friends and partner.

So the first year of Jack's life, I had planned to do all 3 special trips (family, friends and partner), so finally at Jack's 18 month birthday, Bobby and I took our kid free, couple's trip to Southern Arizona wine country (first family trip at 2, and still planning that friends trip, whistle, whistle).  While we missed Jack, we had a great time on our first parent escape.

I mean, I was bit drunk from all the wine tasting, so yeah, it was pretty fun. I don't think that Bobby and I realized how much we needed that escape until we got back home.  It reinforced our bond as a couple and recharged our batteries as parents, making us a happier family.  I refuse to feel guilty about taking a trip together just the two of us when it makes our family happier, healthier and stronger.

So, I recommend that parents (and busy couple and busy people in general) try to squeeze in one parent escape a year.  I know it will be hard to find the time, and I know there will be worry about cost. However, it doesn't have to be to wine country, beautiful Sedona, or a fancy Scottsdale resort; it can just be hotel casa, as long as your child(ren) is staying the night somewhere else.  You can make your house a pretty cool retreat for adults.

Put away the kid's toys, grab some 2 buck chuck (or 99 cent ginger ale) from the Trader Joe's, blast that "old time-y" music (since when did Prince become oldies local radio station, since when?), and stream HBO Go while eating BBQ chick pizza (cause yuck, your kids would never eat that). This little escape doesn't even have to be in celebration of anything, like how Bobby and I do it; it can be for the pure fact that your ready to escape.

The great parent escape doesn't have to be fancy or far away--it can be done at home and for cheap, as long as you remember the one rule: no kids.  So get ready for your great parent escape and bribe ask someone today to take your kid(s) for the weekend.*  Bon voyage to all the people that participate in a great parent escape--hope you enjoy your kid free zone getaway!

Thank you to our friends and family that have helped watched Jack during our great parent escapes; we sincerely appreciate what you've done for us. I'm not sure we can properly thank you for the precious gift of time that you have given us.** And happy birth-a-versary Bobby!  I am so thrilled for every year I get to escape with you!

We Made It!

*Warning, you may have to return the favor and take someone else's kid(s) for 48 hours.

**We are prepared to return the favor.

2 comments:

  1. Wonderful ❤❤❤ I provide date-night service for several families and I'm always telling them you need this break. It's important to recharge and spend time together. I love this post 💗💗💗💗💗💗💗💗💗💗💗💗💗💗💗💗

    ReplyDelete